Cream Puffs

Cream Puffs
These are french vanilla filled puffs

Friday, September 14, 2012

Sugar work

I am finding out the longer I work with confections. I like sugar. It can do so many different things. It takes a lot of practice to get it exactly how I would like it. I have had many failures in class when it is not working and deciding that its going to be a bitch.  I think if I ever get the chance to spend time with an confectioner that does a lot of sugar work, I would jump on it.  It seems very simple to melt the sugar to a high temperature.  Out here in Utah its 285*F, pour it and let it be. Cool thing is, if your going to mold it, you have to work with it while it is still very hot. I have a whole new respect for those chefs at Disney that make the candy canes. In fact I want to be one of those guys. Interestingly enough there is a science behind all the sugar work. If it is too humid the sugar sucks in all the moisture causing it to be sticky and brittle. Learning about the sugar was one of my favorite lessons in the class. Below is some of my sugar work along with other classmates. Some of the interesting items that came out when we were working with sugar.
Happy Eating




No comments:

Post a Comment