Cream Puffs

Cream Puffs
These are french vanilla filled puffs

Friday, May 30, 2014

The begining of Summer

Summer is a time for fresh raw and healthy food. I encourage everyone to go to farmers markets and see what local produce is out there.  This time of year I bake a lot of bread and make many salads, raw food dishes and fresh fruit dishes.

One of my  favorite chicken salads to make is a Lemon Pepper and Basil salad.

I roast a few chicken breast. Some times I will braise them in beer. Meaning I will season the breast then put half a bottle of beer, usually a dark amber in a cooking pan. like a 1/4 sheet baking dish cover it with plastic wrap the tin foil and cook for 1 1/2 hours. The meat comes out flavorful and tender.
The I cube it up. throw it into a bowl. I then add 1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup mayo, Fresh basil that I cut up, 2 tbsp. lemon pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 2 tbsp. chopped fresh chives, and 1/4 tsp lemon juice.  Makes a great salad.

Now you can do the same thing and omit the sour cream and mayo for dairy reasons. Just make sure to taste and adjust seasoning to your liking. You can also add just 1/2 tbsp. of olive or grapeseed oil to the recipe with out the mayo/sour cream.

Happy Eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment