Cream Puffs

Cream Puffs
These are french vanilla filled puffs

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Rhubarb

Thanks to a friend of mine, I have had lots of rhubarb come into my life as of late. I am thinking what am I going to do with all of this? I have been searching for ways to use it before it goes bad. I have found a couple of ways to use it . The most common, Strawberry Rhubarb pie, Then there is Rhubarb cheese cake, and Rhubarb syrup and jelly. I have also found a savory use. Rhubarb salsa. I will be posting that recipe. Never be afraid to experiment with a fruit/ vegetable to find new ways of using it.


Rhubarb Salsa
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cup rhubarb cut in to 1/4 " pieces
1 cup English cucumber seeded and cut into 1/4"
1 tbsp. Honey
1tsp lime juice
Fresh Ground pepper to taste.

Combine all ingredient in a bowl and let set about 2 hours

This is not my recipe. I originally found it on Tastespotting.com and have tweaked it to taste better.

Rhubarb Cheese cake recipe came from a Sunday Church dessert book I found and I have also tweaked it to taste better. the recipe is for a 10" by 4"deep pan

2 1/2 cup thin sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb. if its fresh when it cooks its not as red ,so add 3 drops red food coloring
1/3 cup sugar plus, 1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp. orange juice
1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter , melted
3 packages of cream cheese, softened
2 cups (16 oz) sour cream
8 ounces of white baking chocolate, melted and cooled
1tbsp cornstarch
3 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 tsp salt

In a sauce pan bring the rhubarb , 1/3 c sugar and orange juice to a boil. Reduce  heat and cook until thickened and rhubarb is set tender. Set aside to cool

Wrap two layers of tin foil around your spring form pan and set aside.

In a bowl combine your graham cracker and butter. I put parchment paper down on the bottom of the pan before pushing the graham cracker in it. Place spring form on a baking sheet and bake graham for 9 minutes at 350degrees.

In a mixer fitted with a paddle beat cream cheese until fluffy about 3 minutes then add remaining sugar, and beat until smooth. Then add sour cream, vanilla, cornstarch, white chocolate and salt, beat until smooth. One at a time add eggs and mix until just combined.

Pour half the filling into the pan, then add half the rhubarb, take a knife and swirl it . Then add the other half of the batter and rhubarb on top. Swirl it with a knife.
Add 1 in of boiling water around the spring form once you have placed it in pan that  can hold  water.

Bake for 60-70 minutes. I found where I am living that 75 minutes is the normal. The center should be set and it will look dull. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes then run a knife around the edges to loosen. Cool 1 hour longer before unmolding . Cover and refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment