Cream Puffs

Cream Puffs
These are french vanilla filled puffs

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Navajo Fry Bread

I have been asked to write recipes  for a site and do a weekly posting. So at the same time I will also share that recipe with you my readers. I am doing a tour of our country with food and recipes that I love, have tried, will try or that look really interesting. Some of them will be mine and some of them I will be taking from other sources. So hang on and enjoy the ride.

I am starting from home. What I have called home for the last 3 years. Utah. Its a different culture there. A cross between California food and Western Cowboy food. This recipes is what they call Navajo Fry Bread. In the Midwest is usually known as a carnival food Elephant Ear.  In the picture it is served with a Green Chili and Black bean corn salsa.  If you want the Chili recipe I will ask my fellow chef Trevor to contribute it to the blog.

Fry Bread
1 cup         All purpose Flour
1/2 tsp       Baking Powder
1/4 tsp.      Salt
2 tbsp.       Milk

Combine  flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
Stir in the milk and work into a dough . Knead dough  until the dough is smooth and elastic.  Form the dough into egg size balls.  Cover and set aside for 15 minutes.
Heat fryer/ oil in pan to 375 degrees.
 Roll the dough into 8 inch circles and dock with a fork
fry each round for 2 minutes on each side.
Drain on paper towel and serve.

Happy eating

No comments:

Post a Comment