Cream Puffs

Cream Puffs
These are french vanilla filled puffs

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Culinary Fundamentals week 1


So after experiencing my first week in a professional kitchen. I can make stock and a basic salad dressing. I also can use a knife the right way now too. It has been very educational and  I am glad that I made the choice to go to school. I am excited about the weeks to come and being able to share the recipes I have. I also look forward to posting about the trials and tribulations of culinary school. This week we are doing soups. I will make another post about it in a bit. I actually have the recipes already for that. I dread having to make split pea soup. It just reminds me so much of Exorcist. Below are two pictures from class. The first one is the beginning steps of making a brown stock. The second is a carrot- celery salad with a vinaigrette. The vinaigrette is made with olive oil, garlic, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and white wine vinegar. Everything was a tablespoon except the salt, pepper which was to taste and the mustard which was a teaspoon. It turned out a little sweet. I was surprised that it did not have more of a mustard taste. 

2 comments:

  1. Good luck in Culinary School!! I know you will do awesome!
    As for the Split Pea Soup, think of it as Ninja Turtle Soup... that is what your cousin Chris used to call it :)

    ReplyDelete