Cream Puffs

Cream Puffs
These are french vanilla filled puffs

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Enchiladas with a Twist

I love Mexican food. Here in the small town, there is one place I love to go to just for their burritos and enchiladas.  That being said, I am practical in the kitchen. I hate having to throw out left overs. I had made lasagna and tacos earlier in the week. I decided to combine the two. The  original recipe came from Sandra Lee. She does everything store bought and just combines it all to make a dish. I was using left overs to make the same dish. Family thought it came out pretty good. My kids had no complaints, which is great since its a fight getting them to try new food.

I am posting the original recipe from Sandra Lee, in case you don't have left overs in the fridge and want to make this. I was also able to make extras and freeze them for future dinner meals. That way I can just pull them out for lunches or quick dinners.

12 white corn tortilla
1.25 lb lean ground beef
1 container (8oz) sliced mushrooms finely chopped
1packet onion soup mix
1 tbsp parsley chopped
1.25 cup ricotta cheese
1 can(4.5oz) black olives chopped
4 oz cream cheese softened
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 jar (26oz) pasta sauce
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
 Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9x13in baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside
In a large skillet brown ground beef, stirring frequently to break into small pieces. Stir in onion soup mix and mushroom pieces. Cook for 4 min. Remove from heat, stir in 1tbsp parsley. Season with salt and pepper.

In a large bowl, stir together ricotta, olives and cream cheese. Stir in beef mixture until well combined. Spread 1 cup of pasta sauce in bottom of dish. Spoon meat and cheese mixture evenly down the center of tortilla.
Carefully roll up tortillas and place on sauce in baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan Cover with aluminum foil.
Bake in dish for 35-45 minutes until enchiladas are tender. Garnish with additional parsley if desired. 

I grated lemon zest into my ricotta and added mozzarella cheese to it. I seasoned my meat with Italian seasoning. Those were some of my changes.
Happy Eating

No comments:

Post a Comment