Cream Puffs

Cream Puffs
These are french vanilla filled puffs

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Healthy Benefits of Spicing your food

In my years of working as a Private chef, I have come across clients that tell me not to put any kind of spices on their food to include salt and pepper. No spices? The first time I heard that I thought they were crazy and was just outraged. Now I know that they just do not know any better. It was something that their parents did and they just followed suit. Spices do so much more than what people think they do. For example Salt, will enhance the flavors of food bringing out the natural flavor more.  If you put smoked salt on chocolate it gives the chocolate a richer flavor. Its just a little bit. Your not dumping the whole salt shaker on the food.. I have known salt a holics that will salt all of their food before even putting one bite in their mouth.
It took me two year to teach my mom that  you need to taste your food before you salt it. She still put a lot of salt on her food but she learned. I also taught her the benefits of adding other spices to your food to help the flavors.

Some spices have health effects for the better. Its not a guarantee, I'm not a doctor I'm a chef. But listed below are the spices and what they may be able to help with.
Antioxidants are big these days in the health trends here are a few spices that have antioxidant properties.
turmeric
rosemary
oregano
basil
cloves
cinnamon
black pepper
paprika
ginger
garlic
To help lower blood sugar for diabetics:
cinnamon
garlic
ginger
basil
oregano
nutmeg
bay leaf
allspice
curry
Antibacterial properties
Garlic
Allspice
thyme
cinnamon
cumin
cloves
lemon grass

Looking at all of these they repeat. I think Asian food is on to something. Well food for thought.

Happy Eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment