Cream Puffs

Cream Puffs
These are french vanilla filled puffs

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Stuffed Peppers

This recipe takes me back to being a kid. It was a dish that was served in my house at least once a week. Brings back memories of everyone sitting down at dinner time around the table with out TV or cell phones, having a normal conversation. Grant it, that it was mostly my mom and dad talking since I was the only kid but it still was happy memories for me. This would be one of my comfort foods that takes me back to a simpler time.

This dish is great because you can make them ahead and freeze them for future meals or you can make them a few hours a head and serve them for dinner that night. Its all contained in one.

I have found a way to make this vegetarian besides the meat. For a husband that is a meat and potatoe guy, he actually prefers the vegetarian version of this when I make it.

1- (3.5oz) bag boil in bag rice
4 red bell peppers
3/4 lb ground sirloin
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp all spice
2 cups tomato sauce divide. can use pasta sauce
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup dry red wine
 cooking spray

Pre heat oven to 450F
Cook rice according to package. Do not salt or add butter to it and set aside.
While rice cooks, cut the tops off bell peppers, reserve the tops. Discard the seeds and membranes. Place peppers cut side down in an 8 in square baking dish, cover with plastic wrap. Make sure the dish is microwave safe. Microwave for 2 minutes on high. Peppers should be a little tender but still crisp.
 Heat a large non stick skillet over med-high heat. Add beef and next 5 ingredients, cook 4 minutes or until beef is lightly browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from heat. Add rice, 1/2 cup pasta sauce and cheese to beef mixture and combine.
While beef cooks, combine 1 1/2 cups pasta sauce and wine in small sauce pan and bring to a boil.
Spoon about 3/4 cup of beef mixture into peppers. Place peppers in a 2qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, add wine mixture to dish. Cover with foil.
Bake for 20 minutes , uncover and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
Garnish with Pepper tops



For the Veggie version, I substituted the meat with black beans, garbanzo beans and corn. I used more cheese in the mix to hold it better. I also used bread crumbs and mushrooms. I would pulse all the veggies in a food processor so that they are a little chopped up. Using the spices of garlic, Salt and pepper to taste, and a little of Italian seasoning. If your going Vegan. Use Vegan cheese. I can't give you exact measurements for this because at the time I came up with the version I didn't measure. I just added until it tasted good.

Happy Eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment